Tuesday, January 25, 2011

GLIMMERS OF INSPIRATION

There are two women whom I have come to love dearly and who inspire me greatly.  The first is one of my professors at the Center of Spiritual Formation, the second, is my spiritual director. They both have a gentleness and an attentiveness to God that is so rare.  After every conversation with them, I leave with the feeling, "I want to be like her!"  That's probably because they're so like Jesus.

Over the course of last week, I had the pleasure of seeing both of them.  Not surprisingly, they each gave me a piece of inspiration.  These little nuggets of truth and beauty deserve to be shared.  So, my friends, here they are.  I pray that you would be blessed.

Inspirational vignette #1 (original source was from a novel my professor had read):
In the Old Testament, we are told that no one can look at the face of God and live.  Instead, we can only see His back after He has passed us.  Perhaps this refers to the passage of time.  So often, when we are in the midst of a set of circumstances, we cannot see where God is.  But when we look back in time, we are able to say, "There He was." 

Inspirational vignette #2 (original source was from my spiritual director's friend):
This image came to a woman who was in a season of deep darkness.  She imagined herself on the brink of a large and cavernous pit, about to fall in.  She was terrified of falling in and disappearing into the blackness.  As she prayed, she felt God saying to her, "What you see as despair, I see as opportunity.  The larger the hole, the more room there is for me to pour out my love."

How very beautiful.

No comments: