Monday, February 8, 2010

HOW GRACE AND WORK FIT TOGETHER

For a long time, I had wondered about the relationship between grace and work.  If it's all by grace, what is the point of working hard?

Yesterday, I heard the answer:
Grace is not opposed to effort, 
grace is opposed to earning.
~Ken Shigematsu quoting Dallas Willard
Thus, instead of being a means of earning God's favour, my hard work becomes a means of experiencing God's grace.  Knowing this gives me great motivation to give my best to whatever God's called me to.  And it calms my fears that putting in more effort will cut me off from grace.  It is not an either/or situation, it's a both/and situation.  Grace and effort do co-exist.  It's grace and earning that don't.

1 comment:

gUmmI said...

Dallas Willard changes lives!

I still read your blog Olive! lol. Glad to know what you`re learning!

-gUmmI