Monday, May 24, 2010

HOW TO GROW AN OLIVE TREE

You know how when you go to a garden center, each plant has a small white plastic tab stuck in the soil telling you the ideal growing conditions for that particular species?  It occurred to me the other day that I'm in the process of learning to read what's written on my little white plastic tab. 

So far, I think my growing instructions would include:
  • Water frequently, wilts quickly
  • Needs lots of silence
  • Leave ample room between encounters with others
  • Give space for creativity
  • Plant in a sunny location
  • Do not try to transplant too often, has deep roots
  • Fertilize regularly with doses of beauty, meaningful conversation and extended times of reflection
A few weeks ago, during a particularly difficult week, I think I finally moved one step closer to accepting my need for adequate rest, solitude, silence and stillness.  These things are part of my particular make-up.  I am learning to embrace this as what God has deemed "very good."  I think I am starting to agree with God on what this Olive plant needs to thrive, blossom and eventually bear fruit.

No comments: