Tuesday, May 25, 2010

MY ORBIT

I have been wrestling with the question of how I can ever have any impact on the world.  If I am created to thrive best in a semi-hermitic lifestyle, how can I make any difference in the lives of others?  If I am constantly "journeying inward", what does my journey "outward" look like?  Is a journey outward even possible for one like me?

I recently brought these questions to God, feeling anxious and sad that I was not more of an extravert.  I was surprised at the metaphor I was given in response:  Picture the Moon that orbits the Earth.  The Moon does not occupy itself with travelling around the Sun, and yet, because it stays on track with the Earth, at the end of a year, it has also made it around the Sun.  In the same way, I am to be like a moon, with a sole task of sticking close to Jesus.  The outward flow of my life will happen naturally.  I don't need to contrive it.  He will ensure that it will happen.

This, I think, is what He meant when He said "Keep company with me, and you will live freely and lightly" (Matthew 11:29, The Message). 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

suppose a drill is "journeying inward" into a piece of cedar wood, regardless if it's sharp or dull, it will produce a great fragrance of cedar in the air. in the same way, you are like a drill, constantly drilling into Jesus, people arround you will smell the sweet fragrance of Jesus.

actually, this blog has that sweet fragrance of Jesus.
congratulations!

FROG

Unknown said...

thanks for posting your fresh insight. It encourages me. :)