Saturday, November 5, 2011

WHAT CAUSED THE BURNOUT?

I've often been asked what I think was the cause of my burnout.  My answer:  it's complex.  There were many factors that came into play and I can't give you a simple "It was this" kind of an answer.  But I can trace a few threads that interwove to get me to the point of burning out.

At the deepest level, I think a foundational cause of my burnout was the disbelief that God truly loved me unconditionally.  Something in me thought that I needed to do a certain thing or be a certain way before God could love me.  And so I had a difficult time resting or simply being (I'm still learning and growing in this area).  I would look for the approval of others to affirm that I really was loved.

Another factor that contributed to burnout was a long history of over-involvement and extreme busyness.  By the time I identified that I was burnt out, I had a track record of about 14 years of high-paced living.  Late nights, early mornings, school, church, campus groups, ballet, piano...  I demanded excellence of myself in all these areas.  And I equated productivity with a life well lived.

On top of these factors, in the three years immediately preceding my final breakdown, I was involved in work that was completely incongruent with who I was wired to be.  This was due to a combination of a lack of knowledge of myself and an inability to accept certain aspects of myself.  The job I was working required me to take a lot of initiative with people, constantly be around people, and be part of a team that included several extreme extroverts.  I had trouble accepting that I was an extreme introvert, that I needed more quietness than the average person and that solitude and contemplation were lifelines for me.  I also did not have ample opportunity to develop my creative side or express myself through the arts, which resulted in a piece of my soul withering up over time.  I ended up moving "homes" a lot during that period as well, which was not helpful for someone who needed stability to flourish.

There are probably more factors that led to my burnout, but these are a few of the major ones I have been able to identify so far.

1 comment:

Jess V said...

I think we briefly talked about your/our burnouts at staff conference once. I was a new staff. Anyways, I stumbled here via your newest blog and saw this post. I can also say that my burnout was rooted in the believe that God didn't love me unconditionally. Interesting. For me it's been about 4 years now, too, and it's incredible to see where God has brought me. I didn't know if I would ever feel normal again!