Tuesday, January 22, 2008

BELIEVING GRACE

I came across this list of contrasts in The Grace Awakening by Charles Swindoll. The list is from Dr. Earl Heslin.

SHAME BASED SPIRITUALITYHEALTHY SPRITUALITY
1. Having problems is sin.1. Problems are a part of my human condition. I can bring the to God and my fellow Christians.
2. Emotions are sinful.2. Emotions are neither good nor bad. It's what I do with them. "Be angry and sin not."
3. Compulsive disease is sinful.3. There is a difference between disease and sinful behaviour.
4. Having fun is sinful.4. There are many different ways to delight in God's goodness.
5. Spirituality = Perfection.5. Living within grace not legalism.
6. Sexuality = Sin. 6. Sexuality is a part of who we are as people and is to be enjoyed.
7. Success (or its lack) is sinful. 7. Prosperity or poverty is not due to deficient spirituality.
8. Becoming a Christian fixes everything within me.8. Accepting Christ in my life enables and empowers me to face issues.
9. If I am not healed it is due to my lack of faith.9. Having illness is not a sin. I can avail myself of the best treatment possible.
10. Not being able to think of a clever 10th item may mean I'm not being led by God10. God probably likes the number 9 just as well.

No comments: