Wednesday, February 27, 2008

DETOX FOR THE SOUL

If bodily organs could have awards, the "multi-tasker" award would go to the liver. Not only is it the production site for blood, it acts as a filter for impurities (such as alcohol) and it generates bile (which is necessary for digestion). It probably has other uses as well but I'm no biology major so we'll leave it at that.

A couple days ago, I finished a 3-week detox diet. Basically, I ate foods that would be easily absorbed so that my system - and my liver in particular - would have a lighter load and toxins would have the opportunity to be released.

In a way, I see this time of rest for me as a "detox" for my soul. God has placed me in an environment where my usual pressures and stresses are lessened and there's time and space for the "toxins" in my soul to be released.

I've heard it said before that Christ's kingdom exists not just in the realm of thought and spirit but of the body (Christ himself was the Word become flesh). I think it's so true. We can learn much from observing the physical world God has made.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the posts coming! It is definitely a healthy mind to rest when it seems like you have a million things to do and a million kids running around! This past week has been crazy because of several indoor recesses because of the bitter cold! The kids are driving me crazy! *breathe in, breathe out*

I'm using March Break to rest (after TC), and just to collect myself. I also need to clean my room; the mess is driving me nuts! Alright, how should I start? :)

-monica

Anonymous said...

good work making it through the detox diet! (i'm supposed to be sermon writing now... but i got a bit distracted, as you can see)
tim