Friday, February 8, 2008

SIGN OF A STRENGTH

I've started to think a bit about what comes next for me in terms of ministry. One helpful idea I've come across is from an article called "Using Your Strengths to Become Stronger" in the Feb 2008 edition of the Harvard Business Review. Essentially a review of Marcus Buckingham's book Go Put Your Strengths to Work: 6 Powerful Steps to Achieve Outstanding Performance, the article includes the SIGN test to help you identify whether an activity is a strength.
    • Success: Do you feel successful and effective as you perform the activity?
    • Instincts: Do you feel effortlessly drawn to the activity?
    • Growth: When you perform the activity, do you have the sense that your mind is advancing?
    • Needs: Does the activity leave you feeling fulfilled?

For the past few years, I'm not sure I can say I've been operating in my strengths the majority of the time. So I'm grateful for this break where I can re-evaluate things and hopefully find a more life-giving fit for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad you found the article helpful
tim