Thursday, November 6, 2008

I'M A SURVIVOR

I survived my wedding.

It was a whirlwind weekend of people, smiles, chatter, flights and photos galore. And even though it was over three weeks ago, I'm still feeling like I'm just recovering from it. I had been worried about how I would fare under all the pressure and I'm glad to say I emerged victorious. I did not die!

I did have a breakdown on the Saturday night at our family and close friends' dinner where I felt myself unravelling at an alarming rate and we had to excuse ourselves early. In the moment, all I felt was panic and fear because I really thought I was losing control of myself. In retrospect, I've learned that that's what happens when I reach my limit.

Thinking about that night, I feel a sense of shame for not being stronger. I had only lasted until 8:30pm on my own wedding night. But then I think, if I'm going to max out, it might as well be on my wedding day. And I also come to the sobering thought that if I my wedding had been a year ago, I might not have even made it to the 1:00pm ceremony, much less attend the dinner.

Talking with a friend this morning, I rediscovered just what a long way I've come in a year. Now that the big stressful event is over, I have great hope for more progress on the road of recovery.

2 comments:

lowonthego said...

Hey Olive,

Hmm, i'm not sure if you'd remember me..but I'm Lydia, from staff in Montreal :)

Anyways, firstly, CONGRATS on your marriage!!!1 SO exciting!

But secondly, I really want to thank you for your blog...i KNOW, i'm a huge blogstalker..but you have no clue how much your blogs about burnout etc. have really blessed my life. As i've been learning how to travel through and heal from depression, i find myself gleaning SO much from your blog..so i really wanted to thank you for being so honest!!!

ols said...

Hey Lydia,

Thanks for your encouraging comments! I really appreciate it. (I wasn't even sure if anyone reads them anymore...)

It's helpful to know that we're not alone on the road, eh?

Praying that you would find life in His grace.