Saturday, November 24, 2007

THE BODY-MIND CONNECTION

As part of my action steps toward healing, I have been told to incorporate physical exercise into my life at least 4 times a week. I got a gym membership and while I love attending classes like kick-boxing and hip hop, I've discovered that I also really enjoy the elliptical machine. It's like running, but without the impact on my shins and knees. I asked an instructor here what the machine is called in the local language. Translation: outer-space machine. Rationale: it looks like you're running without gravity.

Anyway, so the last couple times, I've managed to run for 40 minutes at a pace of between 53-70 RPMs. Today, as I was running my heart out while listening to a Bruxy Cavey talk about compassion work in Africa, I noticed that in the next room, there were two overweight men working out with their personal trainers. My mind wandered from Africa and I looked around at the gym full of people. Most people I figure are there for their body's sake - they want to get physically fit. It was interesting to think that I was there more for my mind and my heart.

A good friend of mine reminded me yesterday that we are fearfully and wonderfully made. That means that our body-mind-soul are intricately connected. So it's actually not strange that sweating it out is actually good for my soul. God knows what He's talking about. ;)

No comments: