Wednesday, November 21, 2007

CONTEXT

About a month and a half ago, I was given the assignment of typing up an article entitled Emotional Fatigue (email me if you’d like a copy). As I typed, I saw many of the patterns described present in my own life. It almost felt as if I was typing about myself!

The article addressed the tendency of many Christian workers to overwork themselves and find themselves totally depleted emotionally. At first, I thought I couldn’t possibly be a candidate for this, as I was only just starting my fourth year of ministry since graduating from university. I’m so young, I thought, there’s no way this could be my problem. Perhaps I was just tired from the last 12 months of transitions.

It wasn’t until I read about one example of a young woman who had started serving in high school, continued in university and found herself in trouble by the time she started full-time ministry that it hit me: Life needs to be looked at in context.

My context was that I have been actively involved in church leadership, school ministry and extracurricular activities on top of maintaining top grades for longer than I had given myself credit for. A combination of growing up in a church plant, wanting to prove my love for God and having a responsible and conscientious personality meant that I started participating in youth group committee at the ripe young age of 12. Calculating backwards, I had been essentially serving and living a high-paced, action-packed life with no significant pauses or breaks for 14 years!

I had been so used to looking only at the present and future of my life, I had neglected to step back and look at the greater context. Where I am now, I discovered, is greatly affected by where I came from. And where I am now will in turn affect where I will be.

2 comments:

ying said...

hey you! my heart goes out to you, as these past years of being back in canada haven't been easy for me either.. especially in all the emotional adjustments i've had to make. my pastor got me to read "the emotionally healthy church" by peter? scazerro which was really good.

anyhoo, just wanted to let you know i'm thinking of you. - yy

ols said...

Thanks for your thoughts, Ying! It's great to hear from you. You reminded me of another book by Scazzero - Emotionally Healthy Spirituality. I'm in the middle of reading it.

Keep in touch!!